Qoyllur Ritti is a Quechua word that means “star of the snow “; it is considered one of the most important Andean festivities held annually at Cusco andean area – Sinakara Valley, this festivity mixes the worship to the “apus” Andean gods and the Catholic icons.
The Qoylloritty festival attracts more than 50.000 of peasants annually, most of them from the surrounding regions, and countries; who visit this sacred place after hiking 8 kilometers. The festival takes place in late May or early June, to coincide with the full moon, one week before the Christian feast of Corpus Christy; it consists of a number of processions and dances in and around the Lord of Qoylloritty shrine.
The main event for the indigenous non-Christian population who still celebrate their old spiritual beliefs is the rising of the sun on the Monday morning where thousands kneel down to the first rays of light as the sun rises above the horizon.
We will leave Cusco at 8:00 am and after 3 hours of beautiful landscapes in our private vehicle we will arrive at the small town of Mahuayani. This is where we meet our trekking team and know everyone. After a quick lunch we will start our walk 13 kilometers to the sanctuary where all the interesting festivities take place. During the walking you will be surrounded by mountain peaks of the Andes and have a perfect image many moments to capture. After our full day of walking we are going to reach the evening camp and have dinner. Meals: Lunch and Dinner
Early in the morning after the breakfast we will go to church to attend Mass of the day, which will last about 30 minutes. During the Mass that we will have the unique experience as an outside observer of the rites and customs of the Andean peoples. After Mass we will begin our descent to the mountain Qoylloritty where we see all the old traditions practiced pilgrims to show homage to the Lord of the bright snow, all this takes place in the 4,800 meters above sea level. Later he will return to Sanctuary, where we will visit the fair where all the pilgrims involved. We will spend the night again enjoying dinner after a great day of adventure. Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
After breakfast we start walking back to where our journey began Mahuayani. The walking will take about 2 hours and upon our arrival a private vehicle will be waiting to take us back to Cusco. Meals: Breakfast, Lunch.
- Pick you up from your hotel in the morning for your trip.
- Private transportation from Cusco to Mahuayani and return at the end of the walking.
- English / Spanish speaking professional guide (you will have an assistant guide for groups over 8 people).
- Personal and group tents, dining tent with tables and chairs and kitchen tent for the cook to prepare meals.
- Cook and cooking equipment (Assistants are provided for larger groups).
- Meals indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food). Our professional cooks prepare meals that incorporate elements of the western diet and also traditional
- Peruvian delicacies. (Please communicate with your guide during the trek if you have a preference for certain types of dishes).
- Horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen. They carry camping equipment, food and cooking utensils. Canvas available in your briefing for your personal items (up to 7 kg / 15lbs per person).
- 1 emergency horse, you can ride if you feel sick or a little slower.
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle - but not blister treatments.
- Breakfast on the first morning.
- Sleeping bags. If you have a sleeping bag or you do not want the hassle of bringing one all the way to Peru with you then we have sleeping bags for hire. For this hike you should hire least 15 or warmer (US $ 6 Rental sleeping bag day).
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters.
- Additional horses for passengers luggage.