CHOQUEQUIRAO is situated in the spurs of the mountain range of Salcantay, at 3035 m.a.s.l, surrounded by the snowcapped Apus of Yanama, Ampay, Choquecarpu, Pumasillo and Panta on the right side of Apurimac river in the Santa Teresa district, The Convention province of the departament of Cusco.
Day 1.- CUSCO (3350m.) – CACHORA (2800m) – CHIQUISKA (1930m)
We will pick up the travelers early morning from their hotels and we will head to Cachora, a small village. This trip lasts approximately 4 hours, here we will take the services of the muleteers and the horses that will take the camping equipment and our rucksacks, from here we will undertake the way by approximately 2 hours, towards the Capuliyoc pass (9,186 ft. / 2800 m.s.n.m.) from this point we will be able to appreciate the deep valley of the Apurimac River, and the snow-covered caps which rise throughout the valley, continuing our day of walk we will descend towards Chiquiska (1800 m.s.n.m.) place where we will make our first camping. Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Day 2.- CHIQUISCA (1930m) – CHOQUEQUIRAO (3270m)
Early morning after breakfast, we will continue descending, appreciating magnificent landscapes of the Apurimac canyon we will descend down to 1495 m.s.n.m. /4905 ft here we will cross Apurimac river through a suspension bridge, after a brief rest we will continue the walk up hill for approximately 4 ½ hours until we arrive at the archaeological complex of CHOQUEQUIRAO, this is is the spot of our second camping. Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Day 3.- CHOQUEQUIRAO (3270m)
This day in the morning we will make a visit to the zone that already was recovered and we will contemplate the magnificent architecture that was used at that time, then we will explore the surrounding areas, observing the sectors that are, at the moment, being recovered. Once we finish our visit we will have lunch and after relaxing the whole afternoon we will observe the impressive sunshine on the mountains surrounding us, if we are lucky, we will watch condors flying over by this zone. Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Day 4.- CHOQUEQUIRAO (3270m) – CHIQUISKA (1930m)
In the morning after breakfast, we will return by the same access route, we will descend towards the Apurimac river, and will make a stop to have lunch and we will have a brief rest; at the end of it we will begin to ascend for approximately 3 hours until we get our last camp site, Chiquiska.
Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Day 5.- CHIQUISKA (1930m) – CACHORA (2800m) – CUSCO (3350m)
The climate in this part is warm, therefore we must avoid the sun light, so we will start our journey very early, and we will ascend for approximately 2 1/2 hours, then we will arrive at the pass of Kapuliyoc (2800 m. / 9186 ft). From this point we will walk through a smoother route until Cachora, after lunch, we will catch the bus that will transport us until Saywite, an interesting and attractive site, immediately later we will continue our return trip towards Cusco. Meals: breakfast and lunch.
- Pick-up at hostel on first day
- Private transportation by bus from Cusco to Cachora – Cachora to Cusco
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Noted Meals during the trekking (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner),& snacks
- Camping equipment, cook, helpers
- Mules/horses for cargo of the collective equipment and meals
- First aid kit
- Hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes
- We supply boiled water to fill in your water bottle all the time, if requested with enough time ahead
- Inflables matresses
- Horses or mules to carry food, camping equipment, big backpacks.
- Entrance to Choquequiraw
- Breakfast day 1, Dinner day 5
- Sleeping bag
- Tips for the crew, Personal horse, Entrance to Cconoc
You will need to bring the following equipment:
- Sleeping bag (suitable for temperatures down to -5C)
- Strong footwear
- Sweater, jacket (something warm)
- Camera, films and extra batteries
- Water bottle, ideally non disposable canteen (boiled drinking water will be provided)
- Torch / flashlight, plus extra batteries
- Broad - brim or peaked cap
- Sun block
- Insect repellent
- Toiletries & toilet paper, small towel
- Swimsuit, for the hot springs
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits, energy bars etc
- Cash in soles and US$ Dollars
- Original passport